Friday, July 15, 2011

Giving Grace Thanks for 49 Years: It’s our Anniversary!


Do you know what today is? It’s our anniversary!

After weeks of tireless planning, the day is finally here. Today, Grace will be celebrating Her 49th anniversary with the community in the 13th annual East New York Day, including a sermon from 10th Congressional District Congressman Edolphus Towns and roughly 500 Brooklynites who came ready for steel drums, stepping, clowns, basketball and food.

But this day would not have been possible without the hard work and diligence of Pastor, and the 84-years-young birthday boy, Jacob Underwood and his wife Tomasena, Co-pastor Michael Rogers and Grace’s dedicated members. Nearly half a century ago, Pastor Underwood and his wife spent most of their savings to purchase a Jewish synagogue and plant the seed for GBCOC, the church that still relates to the total person. From Housing at the Grace Towers and beyond, education through New Grace Center and more, Underwood has worked tirelessly to make Grace become a staple of the East New York community. Special thanks also goes to our sister churches who participated in our nightly services throughout the week.

Pick up a t-shirt, buy a journal, plan your anniversary dues and get more involved in Grace—anniversaries were made for catching up and showing your appreciation for where your relationships have brought you.

In the build up to today, some of our very own members were delighted to share their thoughts on GBCOC:

Sister B. Walker, Missionaries (41st Year as a Member): The glory of the Lord really gives me what I need to do here. Grace means a lot. The love of Jesus keeps me coming back, because there’s a lot of churches in the neighborhood where I live. But it’s the people, the loving, the kindness and sharing, and sometimes it’s the fighting and carrying on, but we can grow and we can live. We grow together here.

Sister Crystal Renee (19th Year as a Member): Grace means the world to me. I love my pastor and I am so grateful to have met him. I can say that [GPCOC} basically saved my life. I was a very lost child. And the women I am today, I can really give thanks to Grace for. So [GBCOC], I love you!

Sister Angela Bolden (19th Year as a Member): I’m so excited for this anniversary. I have been active in Grace and remaining faithful and steadfast in the Lord in all that I do. it is really through the Will and grace of God that we continue to come back.

Sister Pamela Foreman (42nd Year as a Member)

I have never stayed in one place for 42 years, however, as I look back and reflect on the love, support, discipline, teaching, preaching, and motivation that my church family embraced my family of four generations with explains why my family and I are still active members here. As I lift my hands with Praise and Thanksgiving it only leaves me to say Thank You. Congratulations Pastor Underwood, Co-Pastor Rogers and the Grace Baptist Church if Christ family!

HAPPY 49TH

ANNIVERSARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment