Friday, May 11, 2012

A History and Reflection on Mothers


 
By Jerome Nathaniel
 
Nothing compares to the love and nurture of a Mother. Some may even argue that the very hope of a child’s ability to succeed and function in society can either be made or broken by the relationship and love he/she shares with their mother.

By no surprise, the power and significance of mothers have persisted since the earliest civilizations. Mother’s Day is said to have its roots in the Roman Empire from a week long festival from March 22 to 28 known as “Hilaria.” When the Roman Empire eventually converted to Christianity, the feast was designated to the fourth Sunday of Lent to celebrate the exemplary Christian mother, the Virgin Mary. Today, “Mothering Sunday” is still celebrated in Europe under the many names of “Refreshment Sunday,” “Pudding Pie Sunday,” “Rose Sunday,” Simnel Sunday” and “Mid-Lent Sunday,” in which the story of the Five Loaves of Bread is read in church.

From the Arab world to the Mediterranean, Mother’s Day is still most celebrated in America. Ever since Abolitionist and poet Julia Ward Howe and Anna Jarvis of West Virginia convinced President Woodrow Wilson to sign a proclamation in May 1914 for the holiday to be celebrated every second Sunday of May, Mother’s Day has become one of the most celebrated holidays in America. In fact, Mother’s Day holds the market record for the most greeting card and flower purchases, long distance calls, and the third highest day for church attendance (only following Easter and Christmas Eve).

Its history is larger than life, but the love of a mother is as simple as an unspoken sentiment of understanding and an expression of affection. Members of the Grace Baptist Church of Christ reflected on the meaning of this very important day to their own lives and relationships.

Bro. De’Andre Banks:
“There are never enough words that could ever convey the appreciation that I have for my first teacher; Ernestine Banks. As I reflect on life’s many lessons I marvel at the infallible perseverance that accentuates her overall characteristics. We never seen situations eye to eye all of the time as there were moments in my life that I thought I would be better without her always in my business. However at the end of the day, I thank God for every heard and unheard prayer that she uttered on my behalf. With that being said, I salute you mommy and will always love you.”

Sis. Rachael Osbourne:
“I am very excited that I will be spending Mother's Day with a very important woman in my life. Mom, you are truly a God fearing, strong, eloquent and intelligent woman that loves both Brian and I unconditionally. I pray that I can just come close to being the Mother that you are to Brian and me to my children someday. I want to say that I love you very much and I am looking forward to celebrating you! Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!”

Bro. Kev Lewis:
“Mother’s Day is a very special day. But to be honest, for me, this will the first time I will actually be looking forward to it. In the past I just looked at it as a routine day to buy flowers, spend a little time and be gone about my business. This year is a lot different for a few reasons.

The first reason is because of the birth of my Son. Now my wife is a mother and I really want her first Mother's Day to be great.

The second reason is because of the passing of my God Mother. She passed this January at the age of 81. She has been there for me my whole life, but at the age of 28 this will be my first Mother's Day without her. I can't help but to wish she was still her, but I am at peace with knowing that she gave her best in taking care of, guiding, protecting and loving me through my whole life.

Last but not least there is my Mother. We don't always see eye to eye but we do have a good relationship. With the new additions in my life I feel that I definitely have to let her know that she’s not forgotten, especially on Mother’s Day.”

Sis. Osbourne
“Mother's Day is a day to recognize our beloved Mothers. My Mother, Sister Webster wore many hats. She was my Father's helpmate; a cook, washer, cleaner, childcare taker, disciplinarian as well as a first teacher for five children. So I want to salute all Mothers this day, especially mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment